Skip to main content

I Believe


I believe that the universe is an ever expanding and growing entity. It's watched over by a careful, tender and loving God who seeks to glorify his creations. The universe has to keep expanding, because we keep growing and will continue to keep growing for all eternity. If it were to stop growing we would be stuck, forever children of a God, but with no ability to move forward. 

I believe that there is an afterlife. An afterlife where if we have lived worthily we can return to the presence of our God and his son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. In this life we have the chance to become Gods ourselves and to spend our time creating as well.

I believe that our beings are comprised of two parts and together (and only together) they comprise our souls. A soul is what our God has. It is a perfected resurrected body combined with our spirits that have been going through tests and trials here on earth in order to perfect them so that when we return to God we can show him our growth. A soul is not a soul without both a spirit and a body.

I believe that families were and are meant to be eternal, to last beyond just this life on earth. I believe that God has provided a way for us to be sealed for all eternity to our families. 

I believe that animals have souls just like we do. I believe that they think and feel, but on a level and in a way different than we do. This doesn't make them worth less than us, just different.

I believe that after Christ's death the world apostatized and entered a dark age where the truth was no longer on the earth in one piece. Bits were taken up by groups of men and women seeking the truth, but no one had the whole truth until one day the Father and the Son appeared to Joseph Smith, a young boy of fourteen, who sought the truth and was rewarded with not only the knowledge that it was not currently on the earth but that it would soon be restored. I also believe that Joseph Smith restored the truth upon the earth and translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God.

I believe in an Eternal and Unchangeable God who loves each of us and knows our names. I believe that his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, came to earth and suffered for all our sins that we might return to live with him and our Father one day. 

I believe that God the Eternal Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are separate beings who each seek our eternal salvation.

I believe that the windows of revelation are not closed, that each of us can receive revelation daily if we but ask, and that the Priesthood is once more on the Earth. I believe that we have a modern day prophet who leads and guides the world today and his name is Thomas S. Monson.

These things I believe with all my heart.

Ashley Kaye Nelson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Border Issues--Sypmtoms of a Bigger Issue

Immigration has been in the news a lot recently. I can’t scroll through my social media without happening on at least two new articles daily. Each article either screams outrage and lays it at the feet of the opposing side. The comments on these articles run the gambit from sympathetic to the plight of those seeking entrance into our beautiful country to downright horrifying lack of sympathy for the families affected. As Americans, nay as human beings we can do better than such disparaging comments so devoid of sympathy, but first we need to understand why it is easier for some to come here illegally. Let me start by laying before you my Mother-in-Law’s experience with immigration. When my own sweet Mother-in-Law realized that she could make more money cleaning houses in America than she could teaching school full time in Mexico, she decided that the best thing for her and her son was for her to apply for a work VISA. After receiving her VISA, she then left him behind with her Moth

REBUTTAL: Get Rid of Semi-Auto Guns by Shelton Beach

(The following is a rebuttal of a rebuttal of my article "What is Common Sense Gun Control?" posted in the Post Register in March of 2018. I encourage you to read my article before reading this rebuttal. Rebuttal begins after the image of Shelton Beach's article) I felt excited to read an article about some real gun law suggestions, but sadly upon reading Shelton Beach's article I was unimpressed and even surprised at the lack of actionable material in his article. Let's start with the beginning where Beach states his two-fold plan for gun laws. His first part calls for the banning of semi-automatic weapons on the grounds that "No one in America needs a semi-automatic weapon of war." At this point in the article I had to stop and shake my head a little? Weapon of War? I'm not sure, but it seems as if Beach is not aware that our military uses fully automatic weapons (i.e. when a soldier pulls the trigger the bullets just keep firing

What is "Common Sense" Gun Control?

In October of last year, I was living in the beautiful and busy city of Las Vegas. I put my sweet 3-month-old baby to bed and woke in the morning to find that tragedy had struck our beautiful city. In the midst of the this tragedy I was honored to be part of a city that was filled with so many good Samaritans. So many people in the area pulled together to help. There was  beauty in the tragedy. Then gun control advocates struck with their shouts of "It's time for gun control!" and "We need stricter background checks!" and "No one needs to have a gun!" and my personal favorite "It's time for common sense gun control laws!" Eventually all this ruckus calmed down and it seems Las Vegas' tragedy was forgotten except by those of us who lived there. In the beginning of January, my little family and I moved from that bustling metropolis to Shelley. In February another tragedy struck, this time in Parkland, Florida. I cried as I re